Gingerbread House Contest
2The Holiday Port Gingerbread House Contest is one of the most popular events put on by the Port. Entries do not have to be houses - think of them as edible structures - and entries do not have to be made of gingerbread - but they must be visibly edible. This means that things like graham cracker walls or melted blue Jolly Rancher water are acceptable exteriors, and internal frames made of things like cardboard or wire coat hangers are also acceptable. Just be creative and have fun!
- Fill out the online entry form (Available until Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2023)
- Or call the Port at 360-676-2500 to have an entry form mailed to you.
The gingerbread house contest is free and open to bakers of all abilities and ages.
The theme category for 2023 is ANIMAL KINGDOM. Use this category to work with friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to build a gingerbread structure that represents your idea of a holiday cabin. Anyone, of any age, and any group size, may choose to enter the theme category instead of one of the other categories. Don't want to follow the theme? You don't have to. Just choose a the "division" option.
Many adults and children make a tradition out of entering the contest, and ribbons are awarded for 1st - 3rd place in each of the contest divisions.
Gingerbread Contest Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enter the contest?
- Fill out an online entry form at www.portofBellingham.com/gingerbreadcontest or call the Port at 360-676-2500 to have a copy mailed to you. Remember, this link works through Nov. 22)
What are the key dates, deadlines and pick up schedule for the contest?
- Entry Forms must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday Nov. 22, 2023
- Edible structures must be delivered on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2023, to the Bellingham Cruise Terminal (355 Harris Ave. Bellingham) between 8 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Pick up schedule for gingerbread houses - Creators may pick up their structures Monday, Dec 4 between 9 am-4:30 pm. All houses not picked up by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 4 will be discarded or donated
What are the categories and Rules for the gingerbread contest?
- Categories include: Youth 5 and Under, Youth K-3rd Grade, Youth 4th-8th Grade, Youth 9th-12th Grade, Family, Adult, Senior 65 or Older, Business / Non-Profit, Professional Baker / Caterer. Read all the rules at the bottom of the online entry form.
What is the People's Choice Award?
- Everyone who attends the Holiday Port Festival will get a chance to vote for their favorite contest entry, and the winner becomes our People's Choice Winner. The People's Choice Winner receives a donated prize.