- Feature Links
- COVID-19 UPDATES
A Whatcom County public health emergency has been declared to reduce the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The information below details how Port operations and activities have been adjusted to minimize public interaction, increase sanitation, and protect the health of Whatcom County residents. We will continue to update this information as any changes occur.
Bellingham International Airport
Blaine Harbor and Squalicum Harbor
Harbor offices are open during regular business hours, however customers are requested to wear a face covering and respect minimum social distancing guidelines and maintain a minimum of six feet of separation with Port staff and other customers. Moorage business can also be conducted by phone or email. If you have questions, please contact the Squalicum Harbor Office at 360-676-2542 or by email at Squalicum@portofbellingham.com, or the Blaine Harbor Office at 360-647-6176 or by email at email@example.com Customers can pay marina bills by credit card over the phone or with the Port’s online payment tool at https://www.portofbellingham.com/348/Pay-Your-Bill
The boat launches will remain open daily, closed dusk-dawn. Standard launch fees apply.
The Port will maintain operation of these facilities at this time.
Commercial Fishing Equipment
Forklifts, cranes, net reels and other commercial fishing resources are available to rent at standard rates.
Bellingham Cruise Terminal
The Bellingham Cruise Terminal is open regular business hours 8am – 5pm daily through April 2021. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued an order requiring masks to be worn in and around public transportation terminals such as the Bellingham Cruise Terminal and while travelling on the Alaska State Ferry. This includes areas such as the Bellingham Cruise Terminal parking lot and pier outside the terminal. To learn more about the CDC order, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/face-masks-public-transportation.html Customers are requested to respect minimum social distancing guidelines and maintain a minimum of six feet of separation with Port staff and other customers.
Alaska Ferry Service
For more information on Alaska’s travel requirements related to COVID-19, please visit: http://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued an order requiring face coverings to be worn in and around transportation terminals such as Fairhaven Station and while riding public transportation such as Amtrak or Greyhound. This includes areas outside Fairhaven Station including the parking lot and passenger loading zones. To learn more about the CDC order, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/face-masks-public-transportation.html Customers are requested to respect minimum social distancing guidelines and maintain a minimum of six feet of separation with Port staff and other customers.
Amtrak Passenger Train Service
For information on service adjustments at Fairhaven Station and how Amtrak is maintaining a safe environment, please visit the following link: https://www.amtrak.com/coronavirus
Greyhound Bus Service
For information on service adjustments at Fairhaven Station, please visit the following link: https://www.greyhound.com/en/service-alert
Parks, Trails and Open Space
The Zuanich Park playground is open with the following guidelines from the Whatcom County Department of Health:
- All children over age two must wear a mask.
- Play equipment is open to five or fewer kids at a time.
- Give yourself and others at least six feet of space.
- Stay home if you are sick or if anyone in your family is sick.
- Please wash your child’s hands before and after play.
- Play areas are not regularly sanitized or cleaned.
Tips on using the play area and helping keep this space open:
- Keep a close eye on your child to ensure that they are following the guidelines.
- Stay for a short time (30 minutes or less) to give everyone an opportunity to play.
- No food or drink on the play equipment to ensure that masks are worn at all times.
- Visit the play area during less busy times..
- Mornings are less busy than afternoons.
- Weekdays are less busy than weekends.
- Remind others of the guidelines and find a different activity if the play area gets too crowded.
Most Port-managed parks, trails and open spaces remain open, however people who choose to enjoy these amenities should practice social distancing of a minimum six feet at all times to protect themselves and others.
Marine Life Center
The Marine Life Center is open and free-of-charge with new hours and procedures to minimize public interaction, increase sanitation and protect the health of visitors and staff.
- Monday: Walk-in’s are welcome from 10 am-2 pm. One group at a time will check in at the staff table and enter for 30 minutes to visit the Salish Sea critters. The Marine Life Center will then close for 15 minutes for staff to sanitize the facility before re-opening to the next group.
- Wednesday-Saturday: The Marine Life Center is open by appointment only from 10 am-1 pm with appointment times available at 10 am, 10:45 am, 11:30 am, 12:15 pm, and 1 pm. To make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-671-2431.
Port Real Estate representatives are ready and available to assist tenants with any questions or concerns.
Meeting and Events
The Port is offering full refunds or the option to reschedule events impacted by COVID-19. Please contact our Meeting and Events team by email at email@example.com
Port Commission Meetings
To help avoid large gatherings, participation in Port Commission meetings is being offered using Zoom video conferencing. Information on how to participate remotely is included with each meeting agenda after it is posted on the Port’s website one week before the upcoming meeting. Video of Port Commission meetings is also live streamed and archived on the Port’s YouTube Channel. Please contact Carey Jones at 360.715.7386 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about how to attend, watch or participate in Port Commission meetings.
Regional Economic Partnership
Port Economic Development staff are ready and available to assist businesses and partners with any questions or concerns. Please contact our team by email at EconDev@portofbellingham.com or visit the Port webpage for staff specific contact details: https://www.portofbellingham.com/154/Economic-Development
Port Administration Office
The Port’s Administration Office is open and Port staff can be reached by phone at 360.676.2500. If you are looking to reach a specific staff member, please visit our staff directory at https://www.portofbellingham.com/Directory.aspx and staff will respond based on availability.
Public Health Resources
Please check the following resources for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19:
- COVID-19 FAQs, Fact Sheets and Updates (Public Health – Whatcom County)
- COVID-19 FAQs, Fact-Sheets and Resources (Washington Department of Health)
- COVID-19 Situation Updates and Resources (Centers for Disease Control)
- COVID-19 Information and Guidance (World Health Organization)